Frequently asked questions
1) Waterfront Market is the largest integrated fresh food destination in the region, comprising 120,000 square meters of purpose-built facilities to house the Fish & Seafood, Fruit & Vegetable, Meat & Poultry and Dry Goods & Spices markets.
In addition, there are restaurants, cafés, non-food retail and service outlet offerings, adding a lifestyle layer to the destination.
2) The Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition was developed by the Waterfront Market LLC, which holds all rights for the Murals and Art Competition.
3) The Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition is aimed at making the Waterfront Market a destination that continues to showcase the heritage and progress of the UAE in-line with the UAE founding fathers vision for the country.
The UAE’s heritage reflects the country’s extensive transformation from a fishing and pearl diving community to a bustling and globally recognised destination praised for economic prosperity, leading lifestyle and diverse culture.
The Waterfront Murals and Art Competition is a unique initiative, aiming to highlight the UAE’s growing art scene and artists to create a community that best captures the UAE’s culture, heritage and progress.
The Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition invites aspiring young artists and groups of artists to enter to win the privilege of painting a prominent wall at the Waterfront Market.
4) Waterfront Market Mural and Art Competition comprises of:
a) online registration;
b) qualification and shortlist phases;
c) the selection of one mural winner by a designated Jury;
d) the mural winner will create an on-site painting of their mural at the Waterfront Market in Deira, Dubai, UAE.
5) The Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition website and materials relating to the competition are available at https://murals.waterfrontmarket.ae/ Any queries may be addressed to the following email: [email protected]
6) An independent and multi-disciplinary background Jury has been established for the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition.
7) The names of the Jury members are available at https://murals.waterfrontmarket.ae/
8) The decision of the Jury on all matters, uncertainty and/or disputes relating to procedures and results concerning to the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition, rating and ranking of participants, individuals and groups, awarding of prizes and any other matters related to the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition shall be final, independent and irrevocable.
9) Waterfront Market LLC reserves the right to reject a team name and request an alternative acceptable name at the time of team enrolment or at any later stage if for any reason such team name is considered inappropriate or objectionable.
a) In order to participate in the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition, each individual or team must register via our website:https://murals.waterfrontmarket.ae/
b) Once Waterfront Market successfully receives the online application, a confirmation email will be sent to the individual or team’s email confirming receipt of the entry and the submission requirements.
c) Individuals and teams are welcome to compete in the mural competition.
d) Individuals and teams may submit one (1) application.
10) At the time of submitting the participation form, the individual participant or Team Leader for each team must declare that he/she has read and understood these Rules and agrees on their own behalf and on behalf of his/her team members to be bound by these Rules.
By agreeing to these Rules, the participant(s) and their team members, if applicable, expressly agree that all the decisions related to the interpretation and application of these Rules shall be decided exclusively by the Jury.
Each participant acknowledges and expressly accepts that the decisions made by the Jury are final and irrevocable in nature, and therefore not capable of being appealed or opposed.
Failure to confirm acceptance to the binding nature of the Rules will result in automatic disqualification from the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition.
11) Entry for the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition is open to all UAE nationals and residents above the age of 18 years.
Proof of nationality and/or valid proof of UAE residence will be required.
Present and past employees of Waterfront Market LLC, Ithra Dubai LLC, members of the Jury or their families, are not permitted to participate in the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition.
12) Each team must have a minimum of two (2) and a maximum of five (5) members.
The composition of each team is personal and exclusive in its nature.
As such, it is expressly prohibited to form teams comprising members who are simultaneously registered in other teams of the Waterfront Market Mural and Art Competition.
This provision shall apply to all the teams in all the phases/rounds of the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition.
Any breach of this provision shall result in the immediate disqualification of the defaulting team/teams.
13) Each team must declare one of its members as a Team Leader.
The Team Leader shall have the authority on behalf of all the team members to communicate with the Waterfront Market LLC with regards to the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition on behalf of their team.
Waterfront Market LLC shall interact only with the designated Team Leader.
The Waterfront Market LLC’s responsibility to communicate with the team shall be discharged when such communication has been made with the Team Leader.
14) All entries, both individual and team, shall be received by the Waterfront Market LLC via their appointed channels including their designated website by 12 December 2023.
Entering the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition is free of charge.
No fees are applicable.
Following the 12 December 2023 entry deadline, two further phases will be applicable; the shortlist and the finalist phases.
Any entry received after the 12 December 2023 deadline will not be eligible for entry into the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition.
15) The database consisting of the participants in the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition will be used by Waterfront Market LLC exclusively for the purposes of carrying out the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition in accordance with the UAE personal data protection laws.
16) Waterfront Market LLC reserves the right to use and share with its personnel, representatives and any other entities owned by or associated with the Government of Dubai all and any data and information generated through the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition or related to the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition, whether generated before, during and/or after the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition and relating to any aspect of the Competition including participants’ names and other details, teams and team composition, competition results, photos, videos and any other such data and information at its own discretion.
The shortlisted and/or winning participant or team agrees to be interviewed by media representatives in national, regional and international mediums, publicised in communication, social media and public relations programs and channels as Waterfront Market LLC deems appropriate.
17) Waterfront Market LLC will review all submissions and shortlist five (5) submissions and participants.
Shortlisted participants will be notified by email on or before.
18) Following the commencement of the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition, any change to the members of a team together with the reasons for the change must be communicated to the Event Organiser in writing via [email protected] before the shortlist phase.
Waterfront Market LLC reserves the right to accept or reject such a change in their sole discretion.
19) If one or more participants or teams qualify for the shortlist round withdraw or are disqualified for any reason, they may be replaced by the participant or team with the next highest ranking.
20) The criteria for winning shall be the achievement of the highest score as voted by the appointed Jury.
The decision of the Jury is final.
21) There will be one contest winner/s:
a) The murals contest winner/s will be obliged to:
i) execute the mural according to their winning design on a wall inside the building at the Waterfront Market, Deira, Dubai; and
ii) re-create the winning design on a 333cms (w) x 439cms (h) canvas.
22) The murals contest winner/s shall be informed by email.
23) Execution of the mural by the winning participants or teams shall be executed in December 2023 before unveiling.
24) The final mural will be in the form of paint on the walls of the designated area at the Waterfront Market.
25) Waterfront Market LLC shall provide the winners of the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition with the materials and equipment required for the execution of the mural (i.e. paint, lift platforms, painting utensils, canvas etc.).
The participant/team is responsible for taking care of their safety at all times whilst at the Waterfront Market.
Waterfront Market LLC shall not be held responsible for any negligence on the winner/winners’ behalf.
Waterfront Market is not liable for any accident, physical damage to persons or property connected with the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition.
26) Waterfront Market LLC reserves the right to change the contest timings without changing the Rules at its discretion.
27) Participants confirm and guarantee that the copyright of the submitted designs, declaration of competence and personal details are correct and solely owned by them and do not infringe on the rights of other individuals or parties.
28) Winning the contest is tantamount to the transfer of all transferrable design copyrights in all fields of exploitation, and in particular:
(i) on all digital data storing devices, (ii) reproduction through any method including printing and digital.
29) Designs must not violate moral principles or the religious, ethical or culturally accepted norms of the UAE, nor violate in any manner the rights of other individuals or third parties.
Subject to clause 30 below, the design submitted by each individual participant or Team leader on behalf of his/her team, shall be their own original work.
Failure to cite sources and/or passing another’s design off as their own shall result in the individual participant or team being immediately disqualified from the Waterfront Market Mural and Art Competition.
30) If the submitted design uses the designs of other parties to any degree, the work must be provided with an attached agreement of consent from the originator.
The agreement should clearly state that the authorised person(s) give(s) consent for using such work in the participant’s design and consent to exercising derivative copyright of this work.
The agreement should fully acknowledge and agree that in the event the design is the winning design that it may be used fully and without restriction of any kind by Waterfront Market LLC for the purposes as described in the Rules.
31) Following the completion of the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition, the artwork remains the property of Waterfront Market LLC.
Evaluation of Submitted Works:
32) The designs submitted for the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition shall be formally evaluated by the Jury appointed by the Waterfront Market LLC.
The Jury shall evaluate the works in terms of artistic quality and the interpretation of the theme associated with the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition
33) The prize for the winner of the winning design shall be a monetary prize in the net amount of:
a) AED 30,000 murals contest winner/s; and
b) If a winner is an individual participant, the prize will be given to him/her.
If the winner is a group, the prize will be given to the Team Leader who will have full authority in retaining or dividing the prize.
34) Waterfront Market LLC reserves the right to cancel the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition in the event when:
a) no work is submitted for the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition;
b) the artistic quality is unsatisfactory;
c) submitted works do not meet the requirements of the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition; and
d) a situation beyond the Waterfront Market LLC’s control makes the execution of the mural impossible.
35) Costs associated with the preparation and submission of the design shall remain the individual participant or team sole responsibility.
The Waterfront Market LLC shall take no responsibility for any costs in this regard.
36) The Waterfront Market LLC reserves the right to modify the winning design in order to enable the transfer onto the wall.
37) The Waterfront Market LLC reserves the right to use the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition for any and all marketing purposes.
38) The Waterfront Market LLC is not obligated to provide any reason should the winning design not be transferred onto the wall and/or decides to transfer an alternative design onto the wall.
39) If any dispute or grievance arises out of or in connection with the Rules, the individual participant or team/Team Leader agrees that the dispute or grievance will be notified to Waterfront Market LLC in writing and discussed accordingly to settle the dispute.
The individual participant or team/Team Leader hereby unconditionally and irrevocably renounces any right it may have to challenge in the UAE courts.
40) Waterfront Market LLC reserves the right to introduce new and/or amend existing rules to the Waterfront Market Murals and Art Competition at any time.